Pages

Saturday 9 April 2011

Cream Soda with Milk

During one of my recent trips to Winnipeg I noticed that some Schweppes Cream Soda was on sale at a Chinese supermarket.  This version of cream soda was the Hong Kong version, yellow in colour and mildly fizzy.  Remembering a childhood moment I decided to get myself some and make a drink using the cream soda.
In Hong Kong there's a concoction involving mixing equal parts of cream soda and, believe it or not, milk.  Normally milk and soda drinks don't mix, but for some reason it seems to work here.  There's no curdling of the milk, and the flavours seem to work with each other.  In fairness, however, this treat more commonly found in Hong Kong might seem as weird to most of us here as condensed milk on toast.  Mom allowed me to have these treats occasionally as a kid; ah, to be back in that wonderful kitchen in my younger days....

3 comments:

  1. OMGOODNESS! Thanks so much for posting this! I've been trying to track down some website talking about this! I must do a blog post about this!

    Amanda
    softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Since this drink originated in Hong Kong, I wouldn't be surprised if you had some trouble finding at least an English explanation of this concoction. I still get funny looks from my friends here when I describe this drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, according to my mom, people in Hong Kong started drinking this after the movie "Cream, Soda, and Milk" came out. It came out in the 80's. The movie actually introduced the drink to the public. Before that, nobody knew about it. If you speak Cantonese, the movie's name would be "Cream Soda mixed with Fresh Milk" (directly translated). Not that many people of my generation know about this drink... Oh! And there's also a Cantonese proverb about this as well. Again, it's not as commonly used now. Not that many people remember the movie.

    Thanks for your blog post on this.

    Amanda
    softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com

    P.S. condensed milk + peanut butter on toast is ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete